RDR have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Bid Manager to be based in London. This is a permanent full-time role, working 37.5 hours per week, Monday – Friday 9 am – 5 pm. On offer is a competitive salary and benefits package.
The role of Senior Bid Manager is to provide high quality bid management services for bids of medium to high value and complexity across the 4 main UK Business Units but with the majority of the schemes emanating from Places and Communities (P&C) and Business Energy and Services (BES). Medium to high value projects are broadly defined as those schemes that have total contract values of between £10m and £50m, with multiple FM services, potentially incorporating energy, requiring submission of detailed quality, cost and commercial proposals. This role sits within the Bid Management team that is part of the UK Central Business Development team. Reporting into the Bid Director.
This Senior Bid Manager will have a high degree of interaction and close working with other members of the Business Development team, who also sit within the UK Central Business Development Team, Sales leads within P&C and BES divisions and wider client stakeholders. Jointly working with the Sales team, the Senior Bid Manager will help create winning bid solutions. The broad intention is that the Sales team members will act as the customer lead allowing the Senior Bid Manager to focus on leading the entire bid process to ensure a timely completion and submission of a successful bid.
- The key accountabilities of this role include but not limited to:
- Delivery of personal and team targets
- End to end ownership and management of the bid cycle from start to finish
- Identify the roles and accountabilities within the bid team required to create a winning profitable proposal and lead the assembled bid team throughout the bid process
- Create, implement and proactively manage the Bid Plan including timelines, key milestones and responsibilities to deliver bid requirements on time, to required quality and on budget;
- Ensure customer requirements are translated into our overall bid strategy to form a winning proposal which demonstrates our understanding of their requirements and the client’s capabilities
- Lead the development of the operational solution and price, liaising with the Operational SMEs, estimating team and wider business as required
- Responsibility for the quality of all aspects of the bid, including written responses and presentations, ensuring written work is clear, concise and compelling
- Manage and maintain essential bid documentation including; risk/issues/opportunities register, action log, team information, governance information, competitor analysis, customer stakeholder management, clarification question log
- Ensure effective communication is maintained across the bid team and relevant business stakeholders at all times
- Setting clear direction and maintaining momentum within the bid team to achieve the desired outcome for each stage of the process, including running regular bid calls, hosting workshops, capturing and driving progress on all actions and actively working to remove roadblocks
- Ensure the use of the client’s bid governance process to maintain the strategic direction of the bid and that all necessary approvals are obtained
- Escalation and Jeopardy Management when appropriate
- Acting in a supporting role as required for other bids
- Supporting the training and development of junior bid team members
- Supporting the smooth hand over to mobilisation and operational teams
- Ensuring that at lessons learned exercise is completed on all bids
- Development and enhancement of the ODF
- Becoming a ‘Champion’ of the client capability, acting as the Bid Management ‘Subject Matter Expert’ for that capability
- Acting as an ambassador for the Central Bid Management & Proposals team, developing relationships with wider key stakeholders, and improving the overall professional standing of the team within the UKBU.
Outcome, Results and Key Performance Indicators:
- Building effective and motivated bid teams on each opportunity that focus on the customer, creativity and collaboration
- Creation and implementation of a robust and detailed bid plan that sets out the bid approach and the overall bid timetable
- Management and delivery of the activities within the bid plan
- Successful completion of all internal governance requirements within the UKBU and beyond into Group CDE approvals
- Achieving preferred bidder status on schemes and taking project through to a successful contract close
- Linking into divisional Sales team leads to help identify new business opportunities though existing or new client contacts
- Coaching junior bid team members to raise standards and encourage career development
- The role requires strong stakeholder engagement and frequent contact with people at all levels of the organisation, in all divisions and across multiple disciplines including Group, Business Unit and Divisional Executive teams, Business Development, Operations, SHEQ, CSR, HR, IT, Technical etc
- In addition, management of relationships with external organisations and industry bodies are a key requirement of the role.
- Hold a qualification to relevant the role such as HND/degree level education or equivalent.
- APMP / Prince 2 desirable
- Several years within a senior bid management role
- Of the UK local government and public sector bidding environment
- Of creating and implementing winning bid solutions
- Engagement with a wide range of stakeholders at senior level, internally and within client organisation structures
- Development of all aspects of a bid proposal including written submission, cost submission, commercial proposals, presentations and necessary governance.
- Demonstrable track record in successful bidding securing project in the required value bands within the key market sectors of the clients UK business,
- Knowledge and experience of the UK local government and public sector bidding and outsourcing markets
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner with Business Development personnel
- Excellent skills in developing a winning bid solution
- Excellent skills in managing bid teams that include internal and external personnel
- Experience of multi-level external and internal liaison with clients and operations
- Knowledge of the services offered by the cleint group and its subsidiaries
- An ability to lead the bid process from pre-development stage to contract completion
- Bid delivery and ability to deliver on plans
- Strong presentation skills ensuring that the cleint’s solution and unique selling points are clearly communicated to the client
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills – able to influence and persuade others and deliver success through others
- Strong communication skills – written and oral
- An eye for detail
- Strong proposal development skills
- Good understanding of commercial and technical aspects of bidding
- Strong team leadership skills
- Able to see the big picture in a complex, international organisation
- Ability to engage effectively with stakeholders at all levels of business including leading opportunities through the clients governance process
- Energy and drive to meet personal objectives, with an open, transparent style and flexible approach
- Able to take accountability for the proposed solution, managing potential conflicting/differing solution viewpoints and escalating to Bid Director as required
How to apply:
Please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Yaw on 01642 844550
Due to the high volume of applicants we will not contact unsuccessful applicants at screening process.
For this role you must have evidence of right to work in the UK. There is no re-location package with this job role. RDR do not discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, race, colour, religion, disability or sexual orientation, and we welcome applications from all sections of the community.